Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Greatest Baseball Preview in America: Minnesota Twins

Quick Tigers thought: The Tigers have the 2004 Florida Marlins written all over them, right down to the crusty, old manager with lungs blacker than freshly laid tar.

THE MINNESOTA TWINS

Pitching: Keep an eye on a developing ace in the Twins organization. His name is Johan Santana and he's got decent stuff. Methinks he has the potential to eat up some innings for the Twins this year. He better have success, because the next five guys battling for the remaining four spots in the rotation had a combined 2006 record of 36-48.

Hitting: The Twinkies return the AL MVP (Morneau) and the best hitting catcher in the game (Mauer). They don't seem to have any intention of having these two talented hitters batting next to each other, a move most teams would call a no-brainer. You put your best two hitters at the 3-4 spots in the lineup, right? Not the Twins. They've decided to split them up, interjecting the middle of the order with the serviceable Michael Cuddyer. Before you question that decision, be reminded of two things: 1) Last year, Cuddyer hit 24 homeruns with 106 RBI and 102 runs scored. 2) The Twins won their division with the same strategy. So, I guess we'll let them go against the grain on this one.

One more note on their hitting. Any organization who includes a J. Bartlett on their team is all right in my book.

Miscellaneous: Boof Bonser is engaged to an old friend from my sophomore year of college, herein referred to as JC. We got along great, and under different circumstances, something definitely could have developed. My overwhelming loyalty to my at-the-time girlfriend put me in a position where I felt bad for liking JC as much as I did and lost contact with her perhaps one year after our friendship began. By the time I became single, we had lost touch and only recently did I realize we had a mutual very good friend. When I learned that he knew her, I got excited, only to be dejected by his revelation of her current situation. My point? I hate Boof Bonser.

Twins-related Ridiculous Proposition Bet: Over/Under on when I forget about JC dating a Major League Baseball pitcher: Roughly never.

Previous Previews

AMERICAN LEAGUE


AL Central
Detroit Tigers
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals

AL West
Oakland Athletics
Los Angeles Angels
Texas Rangers
Seattle Mariners

NATIONAL LEAGUE

NL East
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Atlanta Braves
Florida Marlins
Washington Nationals

NL Central
St. Louis Cardinals
Houston Astros
Cincinnati Reds
Milwaukee Brewers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Chicago Cubs

NL West
San Diego Padres
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Francisco Giants
Colorado Rockies
Arizona Diamondbacks

1 comment:

Saj said...

You almost dated Jesus Christ in college?