Thursday, April 12, 2007

Don Imus: Wronged Jerk

Listen, Don Imus is a jerk. We know this. What he said was stupid. We know that. And now we know he's out of a job. Can someone please TELL ME why doesn't Don Imus still have his job?

The answer IS because he's made some recently insensitive comments about a group of innocent female athletes. The answer is NOT that this is the latest in a long line of moronic insults, although he's undoubtedly made them. That is NOT what got him fired. It was this one comment. CBS even stated as much in their statement.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me how there aren't numerous double standards in this fallout...

Tell me how Jesse Jackson can demand that Don Imus be fired after Jackson himself called the innocent Duke lacrosse players "rapists" and "thugs." Which is more disparaging, being called a nappy headed hoe or being called a rapist? Which victimized group got sympathy and which got death threats? Someone find me that Jesse Jackson apology and someone show me where Jackson's income is getting slammed.

Tell me how Howard Stern never lost his job while making endless racist jokes. Tell me how South Park is still on the air after last night's episode alone insulted gays, Persians, Mexicans, and Butters. Tell me how Carlos Mencia still has a job on Comedy Central making a living off racism.

Tell me how a rapper can call women hoes and have no recourse, but Don Imus does it and gets FIRED. Both are entertainers. Both are public figures. Both can be listened to by any demographic.

Tell me how Imus' endless insults and barbs towards just about everyone goes without even the threat of him losing his job, and then one public outcry costs him his job.

Tell me how the Rutgers girls basketball team can claim to be athletes yet not be able to take baseless insults from the peanut gallery. Has Alex Rodriguez, Jason Kidd, or J.J. Reddick heard any insults or disparaging remarks hurled at them?

Tell me how Rosie O'Donnell can take personal shots at Republicans on The View (among an endless list of other moronic comments) and keep her job.

Tell me how Rush Limbaugh can criticize a Parkinson's Disease victim as faking it (among an endless list of other moronic comments) and keep his job.

Finally, tell me how CBS, the most gutless character in this overblown story, spends years making money off Don Imus saying stupid shit for four hours every morning, and then fire him, without warning, for saying something no stupider than many things he's said in the past. Moreover, they did it during a week where he was raising money for charity, without letting him finish this week of fundraising, not even allowing him to say good-bye to listeners that have listened to him for decades. Tell me why he deserves to be fired by his employer for doing what practically must have been his job desription. Tell me that.

1 comment:

The Dude said...

This......Is......Lez BooosSSS!!!!......

Tell me how this is a sports story. Really...Tell me. Shouldn't we all be trying to get Tina Cervasio fired right now? Now thats a sports story.....